#16 in the Seiyuu no Wa series features Suzaki Aya, a relative latecomer to the business, having made a successful mid-career transition from OL life to seiyuu work. She just got a newcomer award at this year’s Seiyuu Awards, for what it’s worth. I’m not very familiar with what she does beyond the Sixth Destroyer Division and Hoshijiro/Tsumugi though. Looking forward to more Sidonia no Kishi!!
1. Please tell us how you became a seiyuu.
I loved Detective Conan and as I admired Hayashibara Megumi-san, the voice of Haibara Ai, so I started to become interested in seiyuu as a profession.
2. What was your debut anime role?
Amane Misayo in Bakuman.
3. Of all the shows you have acted in thus far, is there any character that has left a particularly strong impression?
Kitashirakawa Tamako in Tamako Market. It was my first regular role as well as being my first lead role, so I have a lot of emotional attachment to the character. Tamako has changed my normal everyday life into something that is thrilling and exciting.
4. Please tell us if any of the characters you are voicing now share any similarities to yourself.
Mankanshoku Mako from Kill la Kill. I think our hairstyles are similar! Our personalities are similar too! Thankfully, a lot of people do say that I’m like a “real-life Mako”, it makes me happy.
5. From all the shows you’ve been in, please tell us about any scenes that left a particularly strong impression.
What left a big impression recently was a scene from Magi where Marga falls through a huge hole and is saved by her older brother Titus. Marga’s purity and Titus’ kindness stirred up my emotions.
6. Please tell us any horror stories or memorable tales from the recording studio.
During recordings for Kill la Kill, I gave some bread to Inada Tetsu-san, who voices Gamagori Ira, when I heard his stomach growling. As soon as I did that my own stomach started growling so I felt a pang of regret for having given away the bread away. Everyone there is very kind, the studio is a really fun place!
7. Are there any seiyuu you see as rivals or as someone to aim for?
There are many seiyuu I aim to be like but the one I admire most is Hayashibara Megumi-san!
8. If you weren’t a seiyuu, what do you think you would be doing now?
I might’ve been a teacher in my hometown.
9. What’s the hardest thing you’ve experienced as a seiyuu?
When I practise my lines I sometimes worry about whether I’m being a nuisance to my neighbours.
10. On the flipside, what’s the happiest thing(s) that has happened to you as a seiyuu?
I am super happiest when someone says to me “I’m glad that Suzaki Aya voiced XX”!
11. Do you like singing? What has left the biggest impression when it comes to singing thus far?
I like humming in the shower. I get really nervous when I have to sing in front of a crowd. I think it’ll be wonderful if one day, I could sing as naturally as I say my lines.
12. From all the radio shows you have hosted, were there any mails that left an impression on you?
I love hearing about the interesting things that happen in the daily lives of the listeners.
13. Is there anything you take particular care about when you’re acting?
I try to keep in mind that my responsibilities is to help bring out the strengths of the series.
14. What kind of roles would you consider your specialty?
15. Tell us what goals and dreams you have as a seiyuu?
I’d like to be able to voice heroes and heroines that are worshipped by kids! I’d also like to do narration and voiceover work someday.
16. To the people who are aiming to become seiyuu, please give them a word of advice.
I believe that without risk, there is no gain. To become the person you wish to be, just go for it, without regrets. You only live once!!
17. Apart from the shows that you’ve been in, are there anime that you like to watch?
Sailor Moon, Anne of Green Gables, Heidi: Girl of the Alps.
18. In relation to the above, are there any types of roles you’d like to voice or perhaps, characters that you admire?
I loved all the characters so I can’t really pick one…! But I loved Ami-chan from the Sailor Soldiers most of all!
19. As a viewer, what kind of anime do you like?
I love bittersweet youth romance stories. Series like Honey & Clover and Natsuyuki Rendezvous!
20. What kind of child were you?
An extremely serious child.
21. Please tell us what TV programmes do you often watch?
Matsuko & Ariyoshi no Ikari Shinto.
22. Tell us what your favourite books are.
Aim for the Ace!. I wanted to be like Oka Hiromi so much that I joined the soft tennis club.
23. Tell us what your favourite game is.
The game I’ve been most obsessed with recently is Fossil Fighters: Frontier!
24. Tell us what your favourite movies are.
The most recent one I bought was Key of Life!
25. Tell us about your favourite musicians.
Natsukawa Rimi, T.M.Revolution.
26. Tell us what your motto is.
“Be a pillar of strength”* and “things will work out somehow”
*一寸千貫 (issun senkan) literally means “for every inch a thousand kans”, a phrase used by builders/carpenters in referring to the strength of building pillars. An inch is 3.3cm, a kan is 3750kg (refer)
27. Tell us about any of your experiences with sports.
Swimming, soft tennis, scuba diving.
28. Tell us what songs you often sing when you go to the karaoke.
The songs of Every Little Thing, Nakashima Mika, Hayashibara Megumi etc etc
30. Tell us what foods you hate.
Mountain yam, natto, sea urchin, salmon roe.
31. Tell us about the stores you often go to.
I like interior design stores ♪
33. Do you drink? If you do, what sort of drinks do you like?
Guinness, Orion beer
34. What did you do on your last day off?
I went to watch Gravity at an IMAX theatre!
35. If you had a whole week off, what would you do?
I’d go on a trip to Okinawa!!
36. Are there any hobbies that you’ve been obsessed with recently?
Collecting hand and body creams.
37. Tell us about any qualifications you have.
PADI Open Water Diver, various teaching qualifications for kindergarten, elementary and special needs schools.
38. What challenges would you like to take on within the next 10 years?
I’d like to draw out more of my abilities as an actor. I’d like to visit many places, communicate with many people, become a person with a wealth of experience.
39. What type of guy do you like?
40. Which part(s) of a guy do you notice most?
41. Tell us the most expensive thing you’ve bought recently.
A toaster oven.
42. What is the one thing you most desire now?
The power of foresight (lol).
43. If you could bring only one item to a deserted island, what would it be?
44. If you had 1,000,000 yen that you could spend as you wish, how would you use it?
I’d like to go on a trip with my family.
45. Please tell us if there is anything that you do on a daily basis, habits etc.
Drink lots of water.
46. Please leave a message for your fans.
The New Year is coming soon! Whether you’re a student or you’re working, do your best! I’ll give my best too!! Please come to (my) events and lives ☆
47. Do you remember the first time you met Nishi Asuka?
I think I first met her during recordings for the Kiniro Mosaic OVA. I believe she was wearing a red gingham one piece dress which made her look very feminine. That cute impression of her that I had had soon disappeared when we started doing a radio show together, but I came to love Asuka more and more regardless!
48. (A question from Nishi Asuka) “Ayappeeeee—! If we were to go on a trip to Okinawa together, what sort of places would we visit?? Please come up with a travel plan for Okinawa! I leave it all in your hands! d(・ω・*)
Day 1: Visit Taketomi Island (bike rental store –> Nagomi Tower –> stroll in the village –> search for stardust at Kaiji beach –> Kondoi beach –> Nishi-Sambashi
Day 2: Ishigaki Island drive (Tamatorizaki Observatory –> Hirakubozaki –> Yonehara Coast –> Kabira Bay glass-bottom boat –> see the sunset at Uganzaki
Day 3: Diving in Ishigaki Island, swim with the manta rays. Ishigaki beef dinner course
Day 4: Shopping in Ishigaki City
49. Please tell us which seiyuu you get along well with.
Nishi Asuka-chan, Yoshimura Haruka-chan, the Tamako Market members, the Ro-Kyu-Bu! 5th year team.
50. Please leave a question for Yoshimura Haruka.
If you came over to my place to cook a meal together, what would you like to make? If possible, choose something simple! (￣▽￣*)
I was actually really excited to see that she liked Hara Donuts as there used to be one down the road from where I lived in Setagaya-ku =o=