Translating Natsumi’s 50 questions feature, #29 in the series. I know her from Another (Misaki Mei) and Rozen Maiden (Saitou-san). You will know her now, from IM@S CG (Miku-nyan).
1. Please tell us why you became a seiyuu.
I think the first time I ever thought about becoming a seiyuu was when I was in junior high. I used to read manga out aloud and my younger sister said to me “It seems interesting to be able to play a character just by using your voice!”
2. What was your début anime role?
A Sakura-dan member in WHITE ALBUM.
3. Of all the shows you have acted in thus far, is there any character that has left a particularly strong impression?
My first lead role as Sakura Akari in Jewel Pet Twinkle.
4. Please tell us if any of the characters you are voicing now share any similarities to yourself.
An example would be Hiotan from Denkigai no Honya-san, whose trait of brimming curiosity I share.
5. From all the shows you’ve been in, please tell us about any scenes that left a particularly strong impression.
Any scene where I have to confess my feelings to the person I love, makes me nervous.
6. Please tell us any horror stories or memorable tales from the recording studio.
I fret endlessly when my stomach won’t stop growling.
7. Are there any seiyuu you see as rivals or as someone to aim for?
There are many people I look up to but I hope to be capable of displaying a wide range of acting, the way someone like Yajima Akiko-san is.
8. If you weren’t a seiyuu, what do you think you would be doing now?
Before I was a seiyuu I was working at a railway company so I think I’d have become a train conductor.
9. What’s the hardest thing you’ve experienced as a seiyuu?
Sometimes, I feel depressed at my own incompetence…
10. On the flipside, what’s the happiest thing(s) that has happened to you as a seiyuu?
I’m very happy when people tell me that they love the works I have acted in.
11. Do you like singing?
It’s not something I’m good at but I do like it. I was surprised when I saw a CD that I had featured in appear on an Oricon chart programme.
12. From all the radio shows you have hosted, were there any mails that left an impression on you?
When I get really interesting mails from listeners during oogiri* corners to the point where I end up becoming jealous of how interesting the listeners are.
*oogiri (大喜利) is a game commonly featured in Japanese variety shows where some sort of topic/question/scenario is provided and the guests are supposed to provide answers, usually on white boards (for TV)
13. Is there anything you take particular care about when you’re acting?
As I act I try to keep in mind that I want to make this particular character the most fascinating one.
14. What kind of roles would you consider your specialty?
Characters with dark personalities are easy to voice…
15. Tell us what goals and dreams you have as a seiyuu?
I think it’d be great if I could still be a seiyuu even when I’m a granny.
16. To the people who are aiming to become seiyuu, please give them a word of advice.
Try to take on any challenges, even if they’re not related to acting!
17. Apart from the shows that you’ve been in, are there anime that you like to watch?
I watched a lot of anime when I was young! I remember trying to imitate the voices of the characters in Fruits Basket when I was in junior high.
18. In relation to the above, are there any types of roles you’d like to voice or perhaps, characters that you admire?
19. As a viewer, what kind of anime do you like?
I like gag anime.
20. What kind of child were you?
The complete opposite of what I am now…I was a lively, extroverted child.
21. Please tell us what TV programmes do you often watch?
I have a feeling that it’s mostly the news these days.
22. Tell us what your favourite books are.
Saito Hiroshi’s Rudolph and Lotsathings.
23. Tell us what your favourite game is.
Final Fantasy IX.
24. Tell us what your favourite movies are.
House of Himiko.
25. Tell us about your favourite music.
There are many but if I had to pick one I’d say YUKI.
26. Tell us what your motto is.
It’ll work out somehow.
27. Tell us about any of your experiences with sports.
Swimming –> mini basketball –> volleyball –> badminton!
*mini basketball is basketball adapted for grade schoolers
28. Tell us what songs you often sing when you go to the karaoke.
JOY by YUKI.
29. Tell us what your favourite foods are.
30. Tell us what foods you hate.
I’ll eat anything, actually.
31. Tell us about the stores you often go to.
I love cafés and often go alone.
32. Do you have any favourite snacks?
33. Do you drink? If you do, what sort of drinks do you like?
I like fruit-based, dessert-like cocktails.
34. What did you do on your last day off?
Played games at home without taking a single step outside…
35. If you had a whole week off, what would you do?
I’d like to take a trip to Europe.
36. Are there any hobbies that you’ve been obsessed with recently?
Drinking unusual flavours of soy milk.
37. Tell us about any qualifications you have.
Information processing, secretarial, Kanji Proficiency, English Proficiency, calculator proficiency etc.
38. What challenges would you like to take on within the next 10 years?
Make a photobook collection of my hobbies.
39. What type of guy do you like?
Someone who I can feel at ease with, someone who’s fun to talk to.
40. Which part(s) of a guy do you notice most?
41. Tell us the most expensive thing you’ve bought recently.
A one-piece (dress).
42. What is the one thing you most desire now?
43. If you could bring only one item to a deserted island, what would it be?
44. If you had 1,000,000 yen that you could spend as you wish, how would you use it?
I’d go on a trip!
45. Please tell us if there is anything that you do on a daily basis, habits etc.
I drink aojiru-flavoured soy milk.
46. Please leave a message for your fans.
Thanks for always supporting me. It gives me great encouragement. Please be gentle to me in the future (lol).
47. Do you remember the first time you met Mikami Shiori?
I think it was during a discussion meeting for a radio show.
48. (A question from Mikami Shiori) Your partner during your first ever yuri work (a drama CD) was me, what were your feelings about that!
Embarrassing! It’s so embarrassing doing yuri scenes with someone I’m good friends with!!
*The drama CD in question is Lilycle.
49. Please tell us which seiyuu you get along well with.
Nakatsu Mariko-chan*, Takamoto Megumi-chan, Saito Ayaka-chan, Matsuzaki Rei-chan, Hara Sayuri-chan.
*has now changed her stage name to Nakatsu Mari
50. Please leave a question for Hara Sayuri.
Please let me know if you know of any good ways to refresh yourself.