Translating Shiori’s 50 questions feature, which is #28 in the series. It’s funny that what I think of as potentially Shiori’s biggest role (ie. Krista/Historia in Shingeki no Kyojin) to date has yet to truly “happen”. Hopefully we’ll hear that for real next year!
1. Please tell us why you became a seiyuu.
The starting point was when I watched an anime called Saber Marionette J during my elementary school days. I was shocked to learn that the male characters were voiced by women and with the thought that if I were a seiyuu, I could become anything I want, I started to work towards becoming one.
2. What was your début anime role?
A female student in Shugo Chara!
3. Of all the shows you have acted in thus far, is there any character that has left a particularly strong impression?
Akaza Akari from the Yuruyuri series.
4. Please tell us if any of the characters you are voicing now share any similarities to yourself.
Kobori from Amagi Brilliant Park is a shy character; maybe that part.
5. From all the shows you’ve been in, please tell us about any scenes that left a particularly strong impression.
A solo scene where I was standing all alone recording at the mic, for God knows how many pages long (from Yuruyuri♪♪ episode 5).
6. Please tell us any horror stories or memorable tales from the recording studio.
When I got a NG because of my growling stomach…
7. Are there any seiyuu you see as rivals or as someone to aim for?
It’s a secret! (lol)
8. If you weren’t a seiyuu, what do you think you would be doing now?
I love kids so probably a nursery school teacher….
9. What’s the hardest thing you’ve experienced as a seiyuu?
The fact that there is such a wide range of skills being demanded and not just acting, but also singing and radio work. But it’s very rewarding!
10. On the flipside, what’s the happiest thing(s) that has happened to you as a seiyuu?
Receiving fan letters.
11. Do you like singing? What has left the biggest impression when it comes to singing thus far?
I love it! What’s most memorable is seeing how beautiful the sea of (pen)lights is at live concerts.
12. From all the radio shows you have hosted, were there any mails that left an impression on you?
For an aunt agony corner, there was a female listener who took my advice and got her hair, something that could be considered the soul of a women, chopped off and reported the fact to me.
13. Is there anything you take particular care about when you’re acting?
I never give up trying to get to the bottom of a problem until it’s solved.
14. What kind of roles would you consider your specialty?
I voice a lot of girls.
15. Tell us what goals and dreams you have as a seiyuu?
To get to meet a lot of different roles!
16. To the people who are aiming to become seiyuu, please give them a word of advice.
You may face a lot of challenges but in turn, you will find it is a thrilling and rewarding profession!
17. Apart from the shows that you’ve been in, are there anime that you like to watch?
When I was young I watched Popolocrois.
18. In relation to the above, are there any types of roles you’d like to voice or perhaps, characters that you admire?
I wouldn’t mind voicing even a weed if it meant I could be in the show!
19. As a viewer, what kind of anime do you like?
Either heart-warming stories or those with a brutal worldview.
20. What kind of child were you?
I loved playing outside, but I was the type of child who disliked performing in public or standing out in any way.
21. Please tell us what TV programmes do you often watch?
Getsuyou kara Yofukashi. It airs right at the times I turn on the TV so I’ll always watch it.
22. Tell us what your favourite books are.
Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha. really sets my heart racing. It’s my Bible!
23. Tell us what your favourite game is.
The PoPoLoCrois series.
24. Tell us what your favourite movies are.
Porco Rosso. I admired Madame Gina’s strength as a woman.
25. Tell us about your favourite music.
I listen to a wide range of artists…
26. Tell us what your motto is.
What will be will be.
27. Tell us about any of your experiences with sports.
I was in the soft tennis club in junior high.
28. Tell us what songs you often sing when you go to the karaoke.
I try to accommodate the tastes of the people I am going with, so there aren’t any songs in particular that I always pick!
29. Tell us what your favourite foods are.
30. Tell us what foods you hate.
Certain types of shellfish.
31. Tell us about the stores you often go to.
32. Do you have any favourite snacks?
A chocolate called Sasha.
33. Do you drink? If you do, what sort of drinks do you like?
Yes I love it! Umeshu and white wine and Japanese sake are my favourites.
34. What did you do on your last day off?
35. If you had a whole week off, what would you do?
I’d like to travel overseas. Somewhere with beautiful seas!
36. Are there any hobbies that you’ve been obsessed with recently?
37. Tell us about any qualifications you have.
Driving license, Kanji Proficiency Level 2.
38. What challenges would you like to take on within the next 10 years?
Go to the gym to build muscle.
39. What type of guy do you like?
Someone who wears glasses.
40. Which part(s) of a guy do you notice most?
41. Tell us the most expensive thing you’ve bought recently.
42. What is the one thing you most desire now?
43. If you could bring only one item to a deserted island, what would it be?
44. If you had 1,000,000 yen that you could spend as you wish, how would you use it?
Dine in a top-class restaurant! I want to eat 1,000,000 yen worth of food.
45. Please tell us if there is anything that you do on a daily basis, habits etc.
Tweet on Twitter.
46. Please leave a message for your fans.
Thank you for always watching warmly over me…!
47. Do you remember the first time you met Otsubo Yuka?
It was a lush day in May. Dressed in her school uniform, with a smile that was as innocent then as it is now, a girl of a mere 17 years of age appeared in front of me.
48. (A question from Otsubo Yuka) What was your first impression of Otsubo Yuka ps please write lots of nice things ☆
“High school girl!? Uniform…! She’s got such beautiful, long black hair… Her smile is so dazzling…! Cute…so charming…friendly…I think!?”
49. Please tell us which seiyuu you get along well with.
The Yuruyuri members. My radio show members. Let’s have Takamori Natsumi-chan do this next…!
50. Please leave a question for Takamori Natsumi.
Your partner during your first ever yuri work (a drama CD) was me, what were your feelings about that!
That last question is too fun to leave unanswered :3