#27 in the series features Otsubo Yuka, currently voicing the lovely(?) yuri pairing of Kitakami x Ooi (Kancolle). She made her début in Yuruyuri at the age of 18.
1. Please tell us how you became a seiyuu.
It all started back when I was in elementary school – I had spent the whole day in bed sick with a cold, and when I woke up at night and turned on the TV, that was my first ever time watching late-night anime.
2. What was your début anime role?
Toshino Kyoko from Yuruyuri. I will never forget how nervous I felt standing in front of the mic during my first ever audition.
3. Of all the shows you have acted in thus far, is there any character that has left a particularly strong impression?
I’m fond of each and every one of my characters but if I had to pick one, I’d go for my début role Toshino Kyoko. I’m still voicing her 3 years after I made my début, she’s the character I’ve spent the longest time with together.
4. Please tell us if any of the characters you are voicing now share any similarities to yourself.
Nishimikado Tami from Hanayamata, who always has a smile on her face and is just that little bit mischievous…we share those similarities♪
5. From all the shows you’ve been in, please tell us about any scenes that left a particularly strong impression.
From Akuma no Riddle where I voice Banba Mahiru/Shinya, a scene where the two personalities are conversing with each other.
6. Please tell us any horror stories or memorable tales from the recording studio.
It was during recordings for Sekai de Ichiban Tsuyoku Naritai!. There was a part where I’d personally requested a retake, and after that was done I meant to say “Thank you! I’m so sorry!” to the staff in apology, but I messed up and said “Thankfully I’m not sorry!”* instead. It was so embarrassing but luckily, everyone reacted with amusement**.
*that would be “Arigatou gozaimashita! Sumimasen!” turning into “Arigatou gozaimasen!”
**in the Japanese, Yuka uses a reference to the comedy group Drifters who were famed for having rather OTT reactions in their skits.
7. Are there any seiyuu you see as rivals or as someone to aim for?
There are many I hope to be like. To be more and more like the veteran seiyuu, most of whom are so meticulous in their acting and are such great joys to work with in the studio, I hope to learn from them – not just their acting skills, but also their sense of humanity and the way they conduct themselves.
8. If you weren’t a seiyuu, what do you think you would be doing now?
I think I’d be a normal college student. I might’ve been working part-time at a candy store!
9. What’s the hardest thing you’ve experienced as a seiyuu?
When I had a sore throat I just couldn’t produce my character’s voice. Health is the most important thing, isn’t it…
10. On the flipside, what’s the happiest thing(s) that has happened to you as a seiyuu?
The respectable, all my cast members, all of the fans who support me. If I wasn’t a seiyuu I would never have gotten to meet such wonderful people.
11. Do you like singing? What has left the biggest impression when it comes to singing thus far?
I love it!!! I used to be self-conscious about singing as I couldn’t read music, but now I’m happy to have the chance to sing so many charming songs in character!
12. From all the radio shows you have hosted, were there any mails that left an impression on you?
When I got a mail from a listener reporting “I have gotten married to a fellow fan!!”. I was so happy, it was as if I had gotten married myself!
13. Is there anything you take particular care about when you’re acting?
Cherish the personality and colour of my characters.
14. What kind of roles would you consider your specialty?
Maybe carefree girls? I once had a staff member tell me that the type of voice I had was one that was ‘carefree’, so maybe I’ve been conscious of that ever since (lol).
15. Tell us what goals and dreams you have as a seiyuu?
I hope to someday have my characters and the shows I have been in, be something that “means all the world to, or is the pillar of support for” someone out there.
16. To the people who are aiming to become seiyuu, please give them a word of advice.
There are times when it’s important to have entertainer superpowers!
17. Apart from the shows that you’ve been in, are there anime that you like to watch?
Kage Kara Mamoru, Kaleido Star, Stratos 4, Shaman King, ARIA, Happy Seven etc etc, loads of them! Hehehe.
18. In relation to the above, are there any types of roles you’d like to voice or perhaps, characters that you admire?
I admire mascot characters like ARIA’s Aria-shacho!
19. As a viewer, what kind of anime do you like?
Anime with a lot of cute girls, or shows with unique backgrounds, or fantasy-type anime. I’ll watch anything from slice-of-life to shows in the Supokon genre!
*supokon – portmanteau of Supootsu (sports) and Konjou (guts), so generally referring to sports titles that show a lot of fighting spirit.
20. What kind of child were you?
I was a boyish child who loved running around. I preferred card games and sports to playing with dolls!
21. Please tell us what TV programmes do you often watch?
Jounetsu Tairiku, shows that feature Italian towns and world heritage sites. Also, soccer and comedy programmes!
22. Tell us what your favourite books are.
Propos sur le bonheur by Alain (Jp translation: 幸福論, Koufukuron), books of quotations, books of proverbs.
23. Tell us what your favourite game is.
The Animal Crossing series.
24. Tell us what your favourite movies are.
So, so many favourites!!! Umm~ recently, I like Roman Holiday!
25. Tell us about your favourite music.
Songs from shows I have been in!
26. Tell us what your motto is.
“The nail that sticks out gets hammered down, but you don’t have to destroy it” by my Dad.
See here for an explanation of the original term.
27. Tell us about any of your experiences with sports.
Basketball and track and field.
29. Tell us what your favourite foods are.
30. Tell us what foods you hate.
31. Tell us about the stores you often go to.
I frequently pop into baumkuchen stores and the cinema.
32. Do you have any favourite snacks?
34. What did you do on your last day off?
I watched a movie, got a haircut, went to the shrine, had a delicious meal!
35. If you had a whole week off, what would you do?
Go on a trip to either Italy or Germany to tour the Baumkuchen stores nationwide!!!
37. Tell us about any qualifications you have.
Kanji Proficiency, Word Processing Skills Qualification, Ski License, Secretarial Qualification etc etc – I got all of these when I was in high school.
38. What challenges would you like to take on within the next 10 years?
As a seiyuu, I’d like to appear in kids’ anime and dub movies. On a personal level, I’d like to take up diving or travel overseas alone.
39. What type of guy do you like?
Someone who’s like Karasuma Ouji from School Rumble.
40. Which part(s) of a guy do you notice most?
41. Tell us the most expensive thing you’ve bought recently.
A replacement for my wallet.
42. What is the one thing you most desire now?
The ability to play the violin.
43. If you could bring only one item to a deserted island, what would it be?
*I had to look into this one a bit. Apparently Otsubo has answered such a question on radio before? The reason she gave at the time was that having the (US) President there meant she would get rescued for sure. Not sure how true this is.
44. If you had 1,000,000 yen that you could spend as you wish, how would you use it?
I’ll give it to my parents.
45. Please tell us if there is anything that you do on a daily basis, habits etc.
Drink plain hot water!
46. Please leave a message for your fans.
Thank you for reading up til this point! Whenever I think of my fans, I will cheer up! I wish to be someone who can bring such cheer to you too. Please continue to watch warmly over me!
Also, I will be performing at my agency event Amazing Soul Fes 2014 Hisho on the 1st November! I’m gonna be having a blast together with my agency seniors, so please come join in the fun!
47. Do you remember the first time you met Suwa Ayaka?
Yes! I first met her during a recording for a drama CD and I thought, what beautiful legs she has!
48. (A question from Suwa Ayaka) “If we were to hang out together, where should we go!?”
We’ve already gone for a meal and for a massage together so next…would be a trip to the onsen!
49. Please tell us which seiyuu you get along well with.
There are so many seiyuu I get along well with but hmmm…! I get along especially well with the Yuruyuri cast members. So much so that I’d love to go on holidays with them!
50. Please leave a question for Mikami Shiori.
What was your first impression of Otsubo Yuka (ps please write lots of nice things ☆)
Yeah the amount of Baumkuchen is overwhelming. Also, I raged hard for about 10 seconds when I saw pictures of Otsubo in a ManUre shirt ((╬ಠิ益ಠิ)) j/k
Next up, Otsubo’s Yuruyuri colleague Mikami Shiori.