I’m sure no intro is needed for Marei. I myself have only ever seen 2 of her shows (Hunter X Hunter & Noragami) so I really can’t tell you anything anyhow, but I do suspect much of her appeal lies in her visuals…right?
This is a translation of her 50 questions, which was #8 in the series.
1. Please tell us why you became a seiyuu.
Because I love games!
2. What was your début anime role?
3. Of all the shows you have acted in thus far, is there any character that has left a particularly strong impression?
Ichinose Hajime from Gatchaman Crowds!
4. Please tell us if any of the characters you are voicing now share any similarities to yourself.
I do think I’m similar to Iki Hiyori from Noragami where I can express myself decisively through words.
5. From all the shows you’ve been in, please tell us about any scenes that left a particularly strong impression.
In Gatchaman Crowds, where every dialogue between my character and Katze became a battle.
6. Please tell us any horror stories or memorable tales from the recording studio.
It’s a funny story now, but during my first ever recording I was so nervous that I ended up falling down (lol).
7. Are there any seiyuu you see as rivals or as someone to aim for?
I admire Inoue Kikuko-san♪
8. If you weren’t a seiyuu, what do you think you would be doing now?
9. What’s the hardest thing you’ve experienced as a seiyuu?
When I just can’t grasp the character properly.
10. On the flipside, what’s the happiest thing(s) that has happened to you as a seiyuu?
The moment I hear my voice coming from the character, I think “Ah, he/she is alive…”
11. Do you like singing?
I love it♪
12. From all the radio shows you have hosted, were there any mails that left an impression on you?
At times, before I even get to the actual mail, I see how funny the listeners’ pen-names are and I start laughing (lol).
13. Is there anything you take particular care about when you’re acting?
When I’m acting, I try to imagine the characters moving around animatedly.
14. What kind of roles would you consider your specialty?
Characters that have hyperactive tendencies.
15. Tell us what goals and dreams you have as a seiyuu?
To see more people coming to love games and anime through the characters I voice.
16. To the people who are aiming to become seiyuu, please give them a word of advice.
Give your absolute best!!
17. Apart from the shows that you’ve been in, are there anime that you like to watch?
18. In relation to the above, are there any types of roles you’d like to voice or perhaps, characters that you admire?
I loved Goku~
19. As a viewer, what kind of anime do you like?
I love anime that have a lot of surprising scenes.
20. What kind of child were you?
A quiet and shy child.
21. Please tell us what TV programmes do you often watch?
Anything with Ariyoshi (Hiroiki) in it.
22. Tell us what your favourite books are.
The book that had the #1 biggest impact on me was the Higurashi no Naku Koro ni light novel. The night I first read it I got so freaked out I couldn’t sleep…!
23. Tell us what your favourite game is.
Eh!? I can’t really pick one..
24. Tell us what your favourite movies are.
I recently bought My Neighbor Totoro♪
25. Tell us about your favourite music.
BoA’s VALENTI. I listened to it ‘til the CD was worn out!
26. Tell us what your motto is.
Treasure every encounter, for it will never recur.
27. Tell us about any of your experiences with sports.
Next to nothing…!
28. Tell us what songs you often sing when you go to the karaoke.
29. Tell us what your favourite foods are.
30. Tell us what foods you hate.
31. Tell us about the stores you often go to.
Bookstores. I always spend a long time there.
32. Do you have any favourite snacks?
Japanese sweets. Like dango…♪to have them is bliss♪
33. Do you drink? If you do, what sort of drinks do you like?
I do♪ Recently I’ve taken a liking to Cassis Orange.
*a cocktail that is part Crème de cassis, part orange juice
34. What did you do on your last day off?
I watched DVDs.
35. If you had a whole week off, what would you do?
I’d go somewhere to see the beautiful sky♪ But it’d be lonely to go alone so I’ll probably just stay at home and play games.
36. Are there any hobbies that you’ve been obsessed with recently?
Making tonjiru! (・ω・) I can make it!
37. Tell us about any qualifications you have.
EIKEN English Proficiency Level Three.
38. What challenges would you like to take on within the next 10 years?
Take a trip alone! I wonder if I can manage that?
39. What type of guy do you like?
Someone who’s manly!
40. Which part(s) of a guy do you notice most?
41. Tell us the most expensive thing you’ve bought recently.
42. What is the one thing you most desire now?
White towels and lace curtains♪
43. If you could bring only one item to a deserted island, what would it be?
A towel (^O^)／
44. If you had 1,000,000 yen that you could spend as you wish, how would you use it?
I’d spend it on small items, little by little. I can’t bring myself to splurge on any one thing.
45. Please tell us if there is anything that you do on a daily basis, habits etc.
Every day, I enjoy a bath with bath salts ♪
46. Please leave a message for your fans.
Let me tell you about my recent troubles. I think about this every day – won’t winter come early? This hot autumn is troubling.
47. Do you remember the first time you met Tokui Sora-san?
I do remember! It was at 2012’s Tokyo Game Show!
48. (A question from Tokui Sora) Mayayan~ ♪ Mayayan, you have appeared in live-action dramas before! It seems so exciting since it’s so different from anime recordings! Are there any things you do differently or take particular care about when doing dramas? Please do tell♪
When I’m in costume, I’m able to maintain the character’s frame of mind even during breaks. Even the way I speak is somehow more mature. Hence, it doesn’t feel too uncomfortable. The only drawback in live-action dramas is that I can’t look at the script; it feels strange to not have it in my right hand like I always do during recording sessions! That’s the one worry I have (lol).
49. Please tell us which seiyuu you get along well with.
50. Please leave a question for Yamamoto Nozomi.
Non-chan, you love animals don’t you! I’d like to ask for some advice. If I were to keep a pet in my home, what animal do you think would be suitable for me?? o(^▽^)o From Uchida, who is thinking of getting a pet (lol)
This was uhhh….fun. At least she doesn’t hate coriander!!