Name: Ohsaka Ryota (逢坂 良太)
DoB: 2 August 1986
Agency: Early Wing
Representative roles: Sanada Yuki in Tsuritama, Himenokoji Akito in OniAi, Mao Sadao in Hataraku Mao-sama!, Sawamura Eijun in Ace of Diamond, Tanikaze Nagate in Knights of Sidonia
Ohsaka got his start in the seiyuu industry relatively late compared to some of his leading man rivals/peers (Ishikawa Kaito, Hanae Natsuki), landing his first lead role in Tsuritama in spring 2012 at the grand old age of 25 & 1/2. He has really clicked into gear since then and you can hear him in a variety of roles in a variety of shows.
1. Please tell us how you became a seiyuu.
I wanted to be like the hero Reid in Tales of Eternia.
2. What was your debut anime role?
The role of a soldier in Deadman Wonderland. The only thing I did was scream ‘Argh!’ while my character got kicked aside, but I still remember how my hands were shaking as I held the script.
3. Of all the shows you have acted in thus far, is there any character that has left a particularly strong impression?
Yuki in Tsuritama, my first ever lead role. If I hadn’t done that role, I wouldn’t be the person I am today.
4. Please tell us if any of the characters you are voicing now share any similarities to yourself.
Unswerving self-belief. There are other things I could write but I’ll just leave it at that one.
5. From all the shows you’ve been in, please tell us about any one scene that left a particularly strong impression.
For Ace of Diamond, it felt like I’d been screaming non-stop for a month. I think my throat grew stronger thanks to that.
6. Please tell us any horror stories or memorable tales from the recording studio.
Basically my stomach growls easily. So I’d cause NGs whenever it started rumbling during good takes or crying scenes.
7. Are there any seiyuu you see as rivals or as someone to aim for?
I became a seiyuu because I wanted to be like Reid, so Ishida Akira-san is my goal. My rivals are all other young seiyuu.
8. If you weren’t a seiyuu, what do you think you would be doing now?
I went to a technical high school so I’d probably be doing something related.
9. What’s the hardest thing you’ve experienced as a seiyuu?
This happens on occasion – when I’m unable to express myself the way I want even though I know what it is that I need to do.
10. On the flipside, what’s the happiest thing(s) that has happened to you as a seiyuu?
When I see the finished versions of the shows I am involved with.
11. Do you like singing? What has left the biggest impression when it comes to singing thus far?
I’ve been given the chance to sing for various shows of late; basically, I do like singing. I used to go to karaoke alone as well.
12. From all the radio shows you have hosted, were there any mails that left an impression on you?
When I read the first ever mail I read on my first ever radio show. I don’t remember the actual contents of the mail, but I remember being very nervous as well as being incredibly happy.
13. Is there anything you take particular care about when you’re acting?
Just to have fun while I’m acting.
14. What kind of roles would you consider your specialty?
A slightly cheerful male high-schooler.
15. Tell us what goals and dreams you have as a seiyuu?
I want to be a versatile seiyuu who has a long career.
16. To the people who are aiming to become seiyuu, please give them a word of advice.
I don’t think I’ve been one long enough to impart any advice, but I would say that it would be advantage for one to “know” a lot of things.
17. Apart from the shows that you’ve been in, are there anime that you like to watch?
Toaru Kagaku no Railgun (A Certain Scientific Railgun).
18. In relation to the above, are there any types of roles you’d like to voice or perhaps, characters that you admire?
As long as I get to act, any character will do.
19. As a viewer, what kind of anime do you like?
Any show that makes the passion rise from the bottom of my heart.
20. What kind of child were you?
I was probably a lot more well-behaved than I am now.
21. Please tell us what TV programmes do you often watch?
I love a show called Matsuko & Ariyoshi no Ikari Shinto, I catch it every week.
22. Tell us what your favourite books are.
23. Tell us what your favourite games are.
Tales of Eternia, Chrono Trigger.
24. Tell us what your favourite movies are.
Kaettekita Doraemon. Recently, I also liked The Secret Life of Walter Mitty.
25. Tell us about your favourite music.
JAM Project. I will do my best so that one day, I can be connected to them by acting in an anime where they sing the theme song.
26. Tell us what your motto is.
Keep the faith.
27. Tell us about any of your experiences with sports.
28. Tell us what songs you often sing when you go to the karaoke.
In general, JAM Project’s songs.
29. Tell us what your favourite foods are.
Monjayaki, ramen, curry, mentaiko (marinated pollock/cod roe) pasta
30. Tell us what foods you hate.
Foods that have differing textures on the inside and outside. Liver.
31. Tell us about the stores you often go to.
Darts bars, electronics stores.
32. Do you have any favourite snacks?
Takenoko no sato (a Meiji chocolate snack), Yuki no Yado (a brand of senbei/rice crackers).
33. Do you drink? If you do, what sort of drinks do you like?
I like sweet cocktails, as well as Mio sake.
34. What did you do on your last day off?
I slept. After I woke up, I whiled the time away in an electronics store.
35. If you had a whole week off, what would you do?
I’d go on a trip to refresh my mind and my body.
36. Are there any hobbies that you’ve been obsessed with recently?
Cameras. Thanks to this I’ve become an outdoorsy person of late.
37. Tell us about any qualifications you have.
Hazardous materials handling certification level 4, normal driving license.
38. What challenges would you like to take on within the next 10 years?
I’d like to go on trips to various places.
39. What type of girl do you like?
A mature type of lady – it’d be even better if she has big boobs.
40. Which part(s) of a girl do you notice most?
Her hairstyle, voice, legs.
41. Tell us the most expensive thing you’ve bought recently.
I think my wristwatch.
42. What is the one thing you most desire now?
A holiday. Also, a camera lens.
43. If you could bring only one item to a deserted island, what would it be?
Water. Or else I’d die.
44. If you had 1,000,000 yen that you could spend as you wish, how would you use it?
On camera parts. Or audio equipment.
45. Please tell us if there is anything that you do on a daily basis, habits etc.
I think it’d be fine if I just laugh out as loud as I can.
46. Please leave a message for your fans.
I’d be grateful if you could in your own time, show support for the works that I appear in. Also, please do come see the Amazing Soul Fes 2014 –flying- event that is being organized by my agency, on 1st November.
47. What’s your biggest memory of Hanae Natsuki?
I’m doing a radio show with Hanae-kun right now; I really can’t help but have fun being the straight man to his comic*.
*or the tsukkomi to his boke, if you want to maintain the Japanese terms.
48. What do you wear in bed? Are you clothed?
A T-shirt and boxers. Lately I’ve been wearing a haramaki* under my T-shirt as well.
*haramaki are belly bands to keep warm during winter.
49. Please tell us which seiyuu you get along well with.
Ono Yuuki-san, Ishikawa Kaito-kun, Hatano Wataru-san, Hanae Natsuki-kun, Tsuchida Hiroshi-san, Sakurai Takahiro-san, Asanuma Shintaro-san, Murata Taishi-kun, Ono Kensho-kun, Yamashita Daiki-kun, Namikawa Daisuke-san, Shimazaki Nobunaga-kun.
50. Please leave a question for our next interviewee (Hatano Wataru).
What’s your favourite colour of women’s underwear?