Ishikawa is still a relative newbie with just 2 years under his belt but he has had a pretty meteoric rise through the ranks and is already a regular leading man. You’ll surely be seeing/hearing more of him in years to come.
Source of translation here.
1. Please tell us how you became a seiyuu.
I’d been doing theatre in high school so the aim had always been to become an actor. I was a fan of both film and anime at the time and was considering getting involved in either industry; in the end I chose voice acting.
2. What was your debut anime role?
Student B in Ano Natsu de Matteru.
3. Of all the shows you have acted in thus far, is there any character that has left a particularly strong impression?
Sakurazaka Kohei, Ledo, Soda Manatsu, Matatagi Hayato, Yanagisawa Mitsuo, Saito Mao, Tsuchimikado Harutora, Logix Fiscario (Logy), Fukui Kensuke, Yoh Shunshin, Ignacio Axis, Charlemagne, Kajiya Aoi, Kageyama Tobio
*in order, the characters are from Nareru!SE, Suisei no Gargantia, RDG, Inazuma Eleven, Golden Time, Super Seishun Brothers, Tokyo Ravens, Atelier Escha & Logy, Kuroko no Basket, Daiya no Ace, Toaru Hikoshi e no Koiuta, Nobunaga the Fool, Romantica Clock, Haikyuu!!
4. Please tell us if any of the characters you are voicing now share any similarities to yourself.
I’ve been told that I resemble Tobio whenever I’m thinking of something.
5. From all the shows you’ve been in, please tell us about any one scene that left a particularly strong impression.
When a character who isn’t very good at expressing himself tries to get his feelings across – I find that kind of scene memorable.
6. Please tell us any horror stories or memorable tales from the recording studio.
When I tried to get rid of my nerves by lightly beating myself on the chest it freaked out the people around me…what a failure I thought I was.
7. Are there any seiyuu you see as rivals or as someone to aim for?
I am my own biggest enemy.
8. If you weren’t a seiyuu, what do you think you would be doing now?
I’ve never really thought about it, but I’d probably be doing something related to acting.
9. What’s the hardest thing you’ve experienced as a seiyuu?
Managing my physical condition. ‘Cos my body is not that strong to begin with…
10. On the flipside, what’s the happiest thing(s) that has happened to you as a seiyuu?
When I received fanletters for the first time, I felt overjoyed at the fact that my acting had reached out (to others). It’s a feeling that hasn’t ever changed, up til now.
11. Do you like singing? What has left the biggest impression when it comes to singing thus far?
I like singing. I’m not very good at it though…
12. From all the radio shows you have hosted, were there any mails that left an impression on you?
When people write in with impressions of the anime that I’ve acted in.
13. Is there anything you take particular care about when you’re acting?
I try as much as possible to erase any traces of the person ‘Ishikawa Kaito’ in my acting, but it’s something that’s hard to do.
14. What kind of roles would you consider your specialty?
I myself am not sure about it but I hope to find out someday.
15. Tell us what goals and dreams you have as a seiyuu?
I’d like to be able to voice characters around whom the story revolves. It’d be nice to become an actor who can put on a convincing performance even with just one breath.
16. To the people who are aiming to become seiyuu, please give them a word of advice.
It applies to someone like me too, but to be a seiyuu or an actor, one needs to put in continuous effort. Keep thinking of how to move forward.
17. Apart from the shows that you’ve been in, are there anime that you like to watch?
I watched Card Captor Sakura. I’ve even got the Blu-ray box set. Lately I just try as much as possible to watch whatever’s airing at that moment.
18. In relation to the above, are there any types of roles you’d like to voice or perhaps, characters that you admire?
I admire characters that have a strong presence.
19. As a viewer, what kind of anime do you like?
I don’t really watch specific genres but what I do like are shows that are people-centric.
20. What kind of child were you?
I was the kind of kid who’d go jump into the park lake to play in the dead of winter.
21. Please tell us what TV programmes do you often watch?
Hiruobi! , Hodo Station, The! Tetsuwan DASH!!, Getsuyo kara Yofukashi, Matsuko & Ariyoshi no Ikari Shinto.
*Hiruobi! is a TBS variety show aimed at women, Hodo Station is TV Asahi’s news programme, The! Tetsuwan DASH!! is a variety show featuring Johnny’s Group TOKIO, Getsuyou.. is comedy/satire show covering everyday issues (think Japanese version of Daily Show), Matsuko (Deluxe) & Ariyoshi (Hiroiki) is a talk show that answers viewer questions on issues of the day.
22. Tell us what your favourite books are.
Yotsubato!, Azumanga Daioh, To LOVE-ru.
23. Tell us what your favourite game is.
I don’t really play games that much, except for Monster Hunter.
24. Tell us what your favourite movies are.
Pirates of the Caribbean, Le Miserables, Captain America.
25. Tell us about your favourite musician(s).
(I like) Hirai Ken.
26. Tell us what your motto is.
Full speed ahead.
*note: Ishikawa uses 全力先進 here.
27. Tell us about any of your experiences with sports.
Baseball, swimming, tennis, gymnastics, winter sports, boxing.
28. Tell us what songs you often sing when you go to the karaoke.
Chiisana Koi no Uta (by Mongol800).
29. Tell us what your favourite foods are.
Chocolate, natto, cooked vegetables, meat.
30. Tell us what foods you hate.
Tomatoes, raw vegetables, fruits, tomatoes, foods dressed with vinegar, tomatoes.
31. Tell us about the stores you often go to.
I often go to large consumer electronics retailers.
32. Do you have any favourite snacks?
33. Do you drink? If you do, what sort of drinks do you like?
Yes I do. I like sake and whisky. But I’m terrible at holding my drink.
34. What did you do on your last day off?
35. If you had a whole week off, what would you do?
I’d travel. Saitama in spring, Okinawa in summer, Kyoto in autumn, Nagano in winter!
36. Are there any hobbies that you’ve been obsessed with recently?
I bought a camera so I’ve been busy taking photographs.
37. Tell us about any qualifications you have.
Normal driving license, MOS (Microsoft Office Specialist) for Excel.
38. What challenges would you like to take on within the next 10 years?
I’d like to improve my singing.
39. What type of girl do you like?
I’m drawn to girls who have short hair and are the active type.
40. Which part(s) of a girl do you notice most?
Her eyes and her legs.
41. Tell us the most expensive thing you’ve bought recently.
I bought a shredder.
42. What is the one thing you most desire now?
Perfect reading skills, a quick mind, a strong throat.
43. If you could bring only one item to a deserted island, what would it be?
A tough spirit.
44. If you had 1,000,000 yen that you could spend as you wish, how would you use it?
I’d buy a bicycle and a camera lens and bring them along on a trip. I’d also go for voice training lessons.
45. Please tell us if there is anything that you do on a daily basis, habits etc.
Stick a pen that I got for my birthday into my right pocket before I leave the house.
46. Please leave a message for your fans.
I’ll put all my spirit into the characters I voice so I’d be grateful for your support.
47. What’s your biggest memory of Hanae Natsuki?
The joy we both felt when we found out that we would work together in the show that Hanae-san scored his first lead role.
48. (A question from Hanae Natsuki) What in your opinion, is the most interesting phrase in the world?
49. Please tell us which seiyuu you get along well with.
Ohsaka Ryota-san, Hanae Natsuki-san, Hosoya Yoshimasa-san, Sugita Tomokazu-san, Matsuoka Yoshitsugu-san, Shimazaki Nobunaga-san, Kimura Ryohei-san, Uchida Yuma-san, Okamoto Nobuhiko-san, Ono Kensho-san, Eguchi Takuya-san, Yasumoto Hiroki-san, Konishi Katsuyuki-san, Murase Ayumu-san, Akabane Kenji-san, Ono Yuki-san, Shimono Hiro-san, Yusa Koji-san, Takahashi Shinya-san. Yamamoto Itaru-san.
50. Please leave a question for our next interviewee (Ohsaka Ryota).
What do you wear in bed? Are you clothed?