I have always had a soft spot for her for various reasons (ie. we were born in the same year!), but mainly because of Tiaraway and FictionJunction YUUKA. Her voice acting career has always played second fiddle to music but she has had some pretty memorable roles over the years – Gunslinger Girl’s Henrietta (from which her Nanrietta nickname is derived), the infamous Ichijou-san from the School Rumble series and my favourite bitchy Christian, Chiba Saori from Hourou Musuko.
Translating 50 Questions from the Seiyuu no Wa series. Source here. This article was published in August 2013.
1. Please tell us how you became a seiyuu.
It was because I received word of an audition for Powerpuff Girls.
2. What was your debut anime role?
Bubbles in Powerpuff Girls.
3. Of all the shows you have acted in thus far, is there any character that has left a particularly strong impression?
Sawatari Sayuri from Kumo no Mukou, Yakusoku no Basho
4. Please tell us if any of the characters you are voicing now share any similarities to yourself.
For Blood Lad, in which I’m now voicing Blood T. Liz, I find myself similar to her in the way that she appears to be strong but is actually a crybaby.
5. From all the shows you’ve been in, please tell us about any one scene that left a particularly strong impression.
In episode 11 of Sakamichi no Apollon, the scene where Kaoru, Sentaro and Ritsuko are lying asleep after practising fo the cultural festival was really, really happy (for me).
6. Are there any seiyuu who you have been especially influenced by?
For the female seiyuu, I would say Ohara Sayaka-san and Honda Takako-san! Whether it be when I’m watching the anime (they’re acting in) or whether I’m working with them together in recording, I can feel how truly wonderful their acting is.
7. Are there any seiyuu you see as rivals or as someone to aim for?
I’m always impressed when I see someone who can readily inject their emotions into their voice, so there are just too many people I would love to be like (lol)
8. If you weren’t a seiyuu, what do you think you would be doing now?
I’d be a florist, or working in a candy store.
9. What’s the hardest thing you’ve experienced as a seiyuu?
When you get daunted (or intimidated) by something. Because there are times when it will end up interfering with your acting.
10. On the flipside, what’s the happiest thing(s) that has happened to you as a seiyuu?
When I’m acting with everyone in the studio, or when I get to meet people who are fans of (my) series.
11. Please tell us about any special memories you have from your time as singer, both as part of FictionJunction and solo.
I got to perform at length on stage as part of FictionJunction YUUKA for the first time in a long while in May. That time, on that stage, the sound, the tingling feeling I got from (performing in front of) the audience [are special memories].
12. Do you like singing?
Yes, I love it! I used to suddenly break out in song during classes and my teacher scolded me for that (lol)
13. From all the radio shows you have hosted, were there any mails that left an impression on you?
I can’t really recall any specifics right now, but I did get really excited and happy any tiime a listener wrote in talking about happenings in their daily lives♪
14. Is there anything you take particular care of when you’re acting?
I’m not naturally good at voice acting, so I try to get a feel for things and approach my part carefully.
15. What kind of roles would you consider your specialty?
Natural (sounding) roles
16. Tell us what goals and dreams you have as a seiyuu?
I want to be more relaxed and be able to bring my emotions across in my voice.
17. To the people who are aiming to become seiyuu, please give them a word of advice.
Please, have fun while you’re acting!
18. Apart from the shows that you’ve been in, are there anime that you like to watch?
When I was in grade school, I used to watch Mama wa Shogaku 4-nensei.
19. With relation to the above, is there any role that you admired or would’ve liked to have voiced?
The main character Natsumi-chan.
20. As a viewer, what kind of anime do you like?
Anime that have dreams.
21. What sort of child were you?
I was the kind of kid who was always dreaming, and more laid-back than anyone else.
22. Tell us about your favourite book (manga included).
Mishima Yukio’s Haru no Yuki.
23. Tell us what your favourite game is.
Hoshi no Kirby on the Gameboy! That’s the first time I really got into a game.
24. Tell us about your favourite music (albums, musicians).
25. Tell us what your favourite movie is.
The Notebook. I watched it recently, and I really love it.
26. Tell us what your motto is.
no rain, no rainbow.
27. Tell us about any of your experiences with sports.
I did ballet and dance. I was horrible at sports that are “sports” for real.
28. Tell us what songs you often sing when you go to the karaoke.
Matsuda Seiko’s songs.
29. Tell us what your favourite foods are.
30. Tell us what foods you hate.
Raw leeks, onions, unusual foods.
31. Tell us about the stores you often go to.
32. Do you have any favourite snacks?
There’re too many, I can’t choose!
33. Do you drink? If so, what sort of drinks do you like?
Lately, I like sangrias and mojitos.
34. What did you do on your last day off?
It was today (lol)! I went to see a play that one of my favourite actors was in.
35. If you had a whole week off, what would you do?
Go to Hawaii!!!
36. Are there any hobbies that you’ve been obssessed with recently?
37. Tell us about any qualifications you have.
Secretarial certificate and medical administrative qualification.
38. What challenges would you like to take on within the next 10 years?
I want to travel around Europe! I want to sing in an orchestra!
39. What type of guy do you like?
Someone who will keep on chasing or pursuing (something).
40. Which part of a guy do you notice most?
His voice and his hands.
41. Tell us the most expensive thing you’ve bought recently.
42. What is the one thing you most desire now?
This too, would be furniture (lol)
43. If you could bring only one item to a deserted island, what would it be?
It’s a bit hard, but I’d bring a TV!
44. If you had 1,000,000 yen that you could spend as you wish, how would you use it?
I’d stay at a hotel for a week.
45. Do you normally use Twitter? How often do you use it?
I’ve never used it.
46. Please tell us about any websites that you visit on a daily basis.
A furniture shop’s blog.
47. Please leave a message for your fans.
I’m currently recording my 2nd album. Please listen to it when it’s done! Also, please enjoy watching the anime Blood Lad!!
48. (A question from Nanjo Yoshino) When singing or acting, what are the moments that would make you think ‘Ahh, I’m so happy now~~~’
For when I’m singing – when I see the smiles of the audience from the stage☆ When I’m acting, when I’m in the midst of working on a show that I think is wonderful☆
49. Tell us which seiyuu you’d like to take on this quiz next, or which seiyuu you are good friends with.
Kikuchi Mika-chan, Koshimizu Ami-chan, MAKO-san, Saito Chiwa-san…and Nanjo Yoshino-chan☆
50. Please give us a question you’d like to ask the next seiyuu.
Is there anything that makes you nervous during afureko? If there is/are, what do you to make it better?
She likes Fumido 0____o Their song Nakimushi no Uta is one of my favourite songs ever!